Green eggs, no ham

Today’s garden surprise presented itself as a small cluster of green eggs:

Green eggs, no ham

We have no idea what these are, and whether we should dispatch with them immediately or leave them to hatch. Good bug? Bad bug? Alien candy?

All ideas and thoughts are welcome. If leaving them there will prompt the end of all things growing, we’re happy to get rid of them as soon as possible.

Update: Mystery solved!

19 Comments on “Green eggs, no ham”

1. #1 steven
    on May 21st, 2006 at 2:59 pm

I’m guessing some sort of moth egg

on May 21st, 2006 at 3:24 pm

We checked out What’s That Bug, and the moth eggs posted there were the closest to this that we saw — we’re both inclined to think moth eggs as well.

Will moths destroy everything? If they’re moth eggs, should we get rid of them?

Genie

3. #3 steven
    on May 21st, 2006 at 5:26 pm

I never advocate killing anything, but moth eggs=caterpillars and insects usually lay their eggs near a food source. I think you may want to “remove” them.

on May 21st, 2006 at 6:04 pm

That was definitely Steve’s position on the issue, too. I told him we ought to give it 24 hours to see if we could figure out if it was some kind of friendly and helpful butterfly…but I think we’re going to have to just relocate them to a less convenient food source. Or something like that. I appreciate the help!

Genie

5. #5 Rahma
    on May 22nd, 2006 at 10:20 am

Dear Inadvertent:
    Is it possible to clip/prune the plant part that it’s on? Looks like it’s on bark maybe, so I don’t know if this is practical, but it might be nice to see what hatches out in a controlled environment.
    Like a box with some breathable screening over the top so they don’t escape. If they are butterfly caterpillars they will eat some of your plants, but since butterflies are an endanged species it would be nice to encourage them.
    I’m always fascinated by getting close enough to Nature to need the magnifying glass!

on May 22nd, 2006 at 12:41 pm

Rahma,

That’s a good idea, actually, and we’re going to see what we can do. The eggs are on one of the stakes in the garden, rather than a plant (which I also found odd), so another idea we had was to just move the stake somewhere else on the property. I don’t know if that would work, but we could try it.

Thanks for visiting and for your ideas!

Genie

7. #7 The Inadvertent Gardener
    on May 24th, 2006 at 5:41 am

[...] Green eggs, no ham [...]

8. #8 The Inadvertent Gardener
    on May 30th, 2006 at 5:33 am

[...] We arrived home tonight from our Memorial Day Weekend travels to discover our green eggs had hatched. [...]

9. #9 moises
    on Jun 22nd, 2008 at 12:13 pm

hello i have something to tell about those eggs well you see that those are moth eggs my son caust 2 moths im guesing both were from the oposite sex and they mated 3 days later those eggs apered in the tank i was thinking it was dropings so i tested 1 poping it liquid came out i looked online those are moth eggs if u are thinking of raising them it is best when laid to eather free the male or put him to sleep the male moth may and will eat the eggs seperate the fe-male from the eggs but do not set her free.

on Jun 24th, 2008 at 9:48 am

Moises, thanks for the info — we weren’t trying to raise them…that’s for sure!

11. #11 Crushing blow « The Inadvertent Gardener
    on Oct 9th, 2008 at 6:07 pm

[...] 30, 2006 Pests We arrived home last night from our Memorial Day Weekend travels to discover our green eggs had [...]

12. #12 Relocation « The Inadvertent Gardener
    on Oct 9th, 2008 at 6:13 pm

[...] , Pests , Steve Steve and I figured we didn’t have much time to make a decision about the green eggs. Some web sites we visited said it could be as soon as three to five days before the eggs hatched [...]

13. #13 Karen
    on Nov 9th, 2011 at 9:30 pm

I found some eggs that looked practically identical to these ones laid on a piece of clothing i left on my line to dry, i got curious as to what they were, so i put them in a jar and dated it.

6 days later, they hatched, little ladybeetle look alikes, but i still haven’t figured out what exactly they are as lady beetles go through a larvae cycle of 2-4 weeks, and these have hatched exactly like fully grown lady beetles.

on Dec 31st, 2011 at 3:28 am

Karen, that’s fascinating!

15. #15 Andrea
    on Feb 26th, 2012 at 1:52 pm

Stink Bug…Green Shield Bug (Palomena Prasina of the Pentatomidae family) whatever you want to call them. The eggs you found are 110% from this little guy :-)

on Apr 8th, 2012 at 4:07 pm

Andrea, excellent. The official P-cubed name sounds so much prettier than Stink Bug! ;-)

17. #17 Trisha
    on Apr 18th, 2013 at 5:05 am

Well your green eggs look just like the ones a moth is laying all over my garage as I type this. She started out on my shoe I left in here but I have small children that wouldn’t leave her alone so she went higher and is not laying them on the garage door. I don’t know what kind of moth she is but its not a stink bug it’s bigger then a butterfly and brown. Pretty creepy looking bug. This is almost a year later writing this but still thought it might help.

on May 5th, 2013 at 6:35 pm

Trisha, interesting — thanks for sharing your experience!

19. #19 Madison, 12
    on Apr 6th, 2014 at 12:27 am

Greetings Inadvertengatdener I will say most likely it would be identified as a Moth or a certain Species of a ButterFly. I, went to the park with my German Shepherd, 3 little sisters, and my mother. I was carving into some trees with my PocketKnife ( no not graphiti I just was carving a hole-nest bird thing. Anyways I taking off some bark that was about to fall off and then, I grabbed one because it had 11 little lime green dots. So I decided to take them home (since most bugs either Die or LEAVE once the eggs are laid). Right now I have them in an aquarium, with misted leaves, flowers (for nectar) and a drop of water just incase they hatch overnight. I’ll be sure to comment again and hopefully by then I will let them free when ready to fend for themselves!
    P.S.- I’m 12 years old so :P