Slow-roasted tomato dip

Tomatoes before roastingIn August, when I was slow-roasting tomatoes using Kalyn’s fabulous instructions, I already knew we’d be hosting Thanksgiving here in Iowa City. My parents and Steve’s mother and her husband were all planning to join us for a few days of frolic and festivity. We don’t own a dishwasher, so it was also going to be a time of extreme dishwashing.

But that is not what this story is about. This story is about slow-roasted tomatoes, and how I decided, way back in August, that at least one of my batches would make an appearance on Thanksgiving in one form or another.

They ended up appearing twice: once as a pizza topping, with a pesto base and fresh mozzarella; and then, the leftovers that didn’t fit on the pizza reappeared as a dip, served with crackers and slices of baguette as an appetizer on Wednesday and Thursday.

This dip is absurdly easy — it requires only three ingredients. However, I recommend using the best ingredients you can. If you didn’t slow-roast tomatoes during the summer and freeze them, no worries. You can probably get some grocery store tomatoes and slow-roast those, but they won’t pack the flavor of farmstand tomatoes. You can also use any white bean you’ve got in the cupboard, but I used Runner Cannellini Beans from SeedSavers in Decorah, Iowa, which I cooked a couple of days before making the dip. They have a flavor unmatched by any canned bean, or even any bean cooked from standard-issue grocery store dried beans. I didn’t make my own pesto to use in this, but that would elevate the recipe, as well.

Regardless, it’s an easy item to whip up whenever you’ve got company coming over…or even if you just want to enjoy a really delicious snack on a late weekend afternoon with a glass of wine.

Slow-roasted tomato dipSlow-roasted tomato dip
(Serves 8-10 as part of an appetizer spread)

1 c. slow-roasted tomatoes
3/4 c. cooked white beans
1 Tbsp. prepared pesto

1. Mix the ingredients in a food processor until chunky and blended. Blend longer if you prefer a smooth dip, and add a little olive oil, if needed, to smooth it out.
  2. Taste for seasoning and add salt and pepper if they’re needed. Serve with crostini, crackers or slices of baguette.

This is my post for Weekend Herb Blogging, which is being hosted this week by Haalo of Cook (almost) Anything At Least Once. Please stop by Haalo’s blog on Monday to read the full round-up of recipes and other herby/vegetabley/fruity goodness!

15 Comments on “Slow-roasted tomato dip”

1. #1 Kalyn
    on Nov 24th, 2006 at 7:22 pm

Oh yes!! You have my attention with this one. Just fabulous.

on Nov 24th, 2006 at 7:42 pm

Kalyn, thank you so much for introducing me to the slow-roasted tomato concept! (Even though I know you adapted your idea from Alanna’s excellent post.) The dip was terrific, and I was glad to be able to share those slow-roasted tomatoes with the family. I’m definitely going to do many, many more batches next year. They’re so fabulous!

3. #3 katie
    on Nov 25th, 2006 at 5:50 am

After I saw your post last August I started roasting tomatoes, too. I’ll get some out of the freezer for this….

4. #4 Alanna
    on Nov 25th, 2006 at 6:14 am

This is a GREAT use for slow-roasted tomatoes. I only did a few batches this year so am trying to stretch them out. But I have the idea that this dip might just be perfect for * my * family gathering for Christmas! Thanks for the inspiration! AK

5. #5 Carol
    on Nov 25th, 2006 at 7:18 am

I’m hungry now after reading about the slow-roasted tomatoes. I have to try that next year!

6. #6 jann
    on Nov 25th, 2006 at 8:11 am

This looks really appetizing!

on Nov 25th, 2006 at 2:13 pm

Katie, definitely do — it’s really good!

Alanna, you’re welcome — thanks for inspiring the slow-roasted tomato movement!

Carol, I highly encourage it.

Jann, thanks, and thanks for stopping by!

8. #8 cole
    on Nov 25th, 2006 at 5:49 pm

YUM!

This reminds me of this great Eggs Benedict type thing I always get in Ptown MA. You slice a tomato in half and dry them in the oven overnight on very slow, low heat. They get sweet, chewy and rich. You use them instead of meat on an english muffin. You could do it wtih green tomatoes too and it is good for overripe, mushy ones.

I can’t wait to try your dip. mmmm.mmmm!

on Nov 26th, 2006 at 9:00 am

Cole, that Eggs Benedict variation sounds really, really good. Hmm…now I’m starting to get some ideas…

10. #10 Anna
    on Nov 27th, 2006 at 12:41 am

one word: yum

that’s all anybody need say.

11. #11 ejm
    on Nov 27th, 2006 at 5:19 am

Ooooo this looks good! (When you say “prepared pesto”, do you mean basil pesto?)

-Elizabeth

12. #12 sher
    on Nov 27th, 2006 at 2:08 pm

Wonderful!! It will make a great gift for people on my list. Thanks !

on Nov 28th, 2006 at 6:21 am

Anna, it was definitely delicious. Let me know if you try it!

Elizabeth, yes — prepared basil pesto. Sorry about that…should have been more specific!

Sher, I love the idea of giving it as gifts. And food gifts can be so wonderful.

14. #14 gattina
    on Nov 29th, 2006 at 6:27 am

what a lovely recipe!!! I surely will try it although I only manage to get store-bought tomato.

on Nov 30th, 2006 at 7:21 am

Gattina, definitely try it — I’m wondering whether the slow-roasted tomato thing would actually salvage store-bought tomatoes. I don’t know…they won’t have the same flavor as summer-roasted tomatoes, I’m sure, but even concentrating the flavor they have would be better. Keep me posted on how it turns out!