One successful delivery

Seedlings before drop-offLast weekend, Steve and I packed up the sunflower seedlings and their original pot and set out for brunch at the home of the four-and-a-half-year-old, The Mint Killer, and the bread-baking husband of The Mint Killer. (This may make him The Wheat Killer, but that’s probably worth saving for another debate.)

“They’ve grown a lot,” Steve said as we drove toward their house. “I think she’s going to be pleased with your care.”

The fact is, they did grow a lot. Given space to breathe and stretch, the seedlings had grown thicker and longer, winding around each other and slipping over the edge of their new pot.

When we arrived at brunch, Steve hung back by the door, hiding the seedling pot while he removed his coat and shoes. I set the empty original pot on the kitchen island.

“I have bad news for you,” I said to the four-and-a-half-year-old, who was painting.

Her eyes grew wide. “What?”

“There’s been a disaster,” Steve said from the door.

Her eyes grew even wider, but her head tilted, indicating she knew something was afoot.

Then Steve came fully into the kitchen with the new pot of seedlings.

“OH WOW!” said the four-and-a-half-year-old. “They’re SO BIG!”

Apparently, I’m a little better at repotting than I expected. Well, maybe not so much better at repotting, but at least at providing good customer service and not killing the plants of a rather excited little girl.

6 Comments on “One successful delivery”

1. #1 kate
    on Mar 24th, 2007 at 1:59 pm

Yay! I am glad that they grew and flourished and that the 4 & 1/2 yr. old was thrilled with your efforts. I wonder if she will want you back for planting them outside!!

2. #2 the mint killer
    on Mar 24th, 2007 at 8:11 pm

Kate:

i think said four-and-half-year-old definitely knows to consult an expert when it comes to repotting and will be calling again on the services of a certain gardener, should that gardener be willing to comply. however, the four-and-half-year-old is off to a week of gardening camp with her aunt in brooklyn later next month. so we will see what clever tricks she learns. in the meantime, i did spy on her softly talking and stroking her repotted treasures this evening….

on Mar 24th, 2007 at 9:40 pm

Kate, we’ll see how she feels. I think The Mint Killer’s report is the most reliable to date.

And by the way, Mint Killer…I am pretty psyched that she’s talking to her plants. That’s an excellent sign. :-)

4. #4 Chigiy
    on Mar 25th, 2007 at 11:38 am

Kids are our garden’s future. It’s nice to hear that you are being so kind to your little friend. Get her excited about gardening now. It’s really important.
    By the way, every time my kids and I transplant sunflower outdoors my dogs eat them.
    So if you do help you friend transplant them make sure they’re out of the way of veggie eating canines.

on Mar 25th, 2007 at 12:52 pm

Chigiy, that’s good advice. No dogs allowed! I’ll make sure the four-and-a-half-year-old (and The Mint Killer) are aware of that risk…

6. #6 Ain't it heavy « The Inadvertent Gardener
    on Apr 23rd, 2007 at 10:29 am

[...] it heavy Published April 23rd, 2007 Iowa City , Flowers , Friends We revisited the four-and-a-half-year-old’s house for another brunch outing last weekend, and I took the opportunity to ask how her sunflower [...]