Green Thumb Sunday: Totally unnecessary in mid-April

Totally unnecessary

Gardeners, plant and nature lovers can join in Green Thumb Sunday every week. Visit As the Garden Grows for more information.

17 Comments on “Green Thumb Sunday: Totally unnecessary in mid-April”

1. #1 Katie
    on Apr 15th, 2007 at 8:03 am

ooooh – sorry!

2. #2 danielle
    on Apr 15th, 2007 at 10:32 am

sorry about that

3. #3 cole
    on Apr 15th, 2007 at 10:55 am

YES, but snow makes nitrogen more bioavailable to plants…a spring snow sucks for people but is good for plants. Nitrogen is difficult to fix from soil. It becomes more available in 2 different weather phenomonons…snow and lightening storms.

FYI.

It is freezing, gray and raining here. No snow but just as yucky. Where the HELL is spring???????

4. #4 Captain Lifecruiser
    on Apr 15th, 2007 at 1:31 pm

Ooooops. Do not come over here! No, no, we’ve had enough of the winter. Finally we got some warmth weather over here in Sweden and it’s so nice. Like in the summer suddenly :-)

I’m enjoying….

*shining like the sun myself*

5. #5 Crafty Gardener
    on Apr 15th, 2007 at 2:08 pm

Your garden looks a little like mine did this morning. I’m remaining optimistic, that it will wake up from its winter sleep soon.

on Apr 15th, 2007 at 2:14 pm

Katie and Danielle, at least it melted quickly, and that’s a good thing.

Cole, really? Snow helps create more nitrogen for the plants? I had no idea. Very interesting…

Captain Lifecruiser, enjoy that Swedish warmth…I’m sure you guys are ready for it!

Crafty Gardener, I’m optimistic, too. Actually, today is beautiful here, but I’m still wary to start too many seeds or anything…I’m afraid we’ll be another snappy freeze.

7. #7 Ruth
    on Apr 15th, 2007 at 2:58 pm

Oh dear; we have had unseasonable high temperatures here in the Uk. Wish I could send you some sun.

on Apr 15th, 2007 at 3:17 pm

Ruth, that’s OK — we have some sun out today. This photograph is from Thursday morning, and thankfully, all the snow has melted by now.

9. #9 Carol
    on Apr 15th, 2007 at 8:28 pm

Genie… this spring is unusual to say the least. Though we’ve had the cold temperatures, at least we haven’t had snow!

on Apr 15th, 2007 at 8:39 pm

Carol, I’m just thankful it was a quick snow. It has been unusual, though, for sure!

11. #11 skeet
    on Apr 16th, 2007 at 12:12 am

Sad for those who are ready to garden now, but still a lovely photo! And there’s that nitrogen thing (which I didn’t know either.) But it’s almost spring! You’ll make it! Happy GTS!

12. #12 Ottawa Gardener
    on Apr 16th, 2007 at 6:47 am

I say we send an official complaint to the appropriate authorities… wet, heavy snow all over my bulbs.

on Apr 16th, 2007 at 10:52 am

Skeet, thanks for the GTS shout-out!

Ottawa Gardener, I agree. If we could just figure out who the appropriate authorities are, it would be all good…

14. #14 Laura
    on Apr 16th, 2007 at 7:23 pm

We barely had any snow this year, but I certainly wouldn’t want it now. I’m ready for gardening. That is a lovely photo.

on Apr 16th, 2007 at 9:04 pm

Laura, thanks for visiting and for your comments. I’m ready for gardening, too. Very soon!

16. #16 chigiy
    on Apr 17th, 2007 at 4:33 pm

I guess the spring weather has been a bit unkind this year. The good weather is just around the corner, so hang in there.

on Apr 19th, 2007 at 6:42 am

Chigiy, we’ve been getting a taste of good weather here…at least sunshine…this week, which has been a nice change. But there are no blooms on the trees yet — it’s so strange!