Squirrel mafia

I left town early Thursday morning, bound for the Bay Area to visit one of my very best friends. I watered the garden in the near-dark before getting in the car to drive to the airport, and noticed that a flower I planted recently next to the peas had taken a hit. The whole thing had been displaced, and it was lying there, roots sticking out of the dirt still attached to them, dying rapidly.

I thought about trying to replace it, but I was already in danger of being late for my flight, so I just ignored it, figured I’d deal with it when I got home, and finished my watering.

Back in Iowa City, Steve is on watering duty, and he reported in via instant messenger that he, too, had seen the fallen flower, which was probably torn up by whatever dug around in my herb pots.

steve: something yanked up one of the four blue/purple flowers in the garden
steve: was on its side, clump o dirt attached
genie: I think I saw that yesterday morning and ignored it.
genie: Did you throw it in the compost bin?
steve: yes
steve: there was a note
genie: A note?
steve: it said “for every day a pound of arugula is not placed upon the stoop, a flower gets it.”

7 Comments on “Squirrel mafia”

1. #1 Cheryl
    on May 19th, 2007 at 12:43 pm

Yep, your garden critters are giggling! Their cousins live at my house, you know. Mine especially love glad bulbs. This year (after losing wars) I decided I would make the critters work very hard and planted the bulbs in plastic containers that I carefully placed on top of the picnic table! Take that!

2. #2 Katie
    on May 19th, 2007 at 2:44 pm

I’d be happy to send you some moles. We don’t have squirrels – apparently they were all eaten during the rationing time after the war. It is differnent here…

3. #3 Carol
    on May 19th, 2007 at 9:57 pm

Are you sure it is the squirrel mafia and not a rogue gang of rabbits?

on May 19th, 2007 at 10:58 pm

Cheryl, I like your defensive tactics. Definitely good stuff.

Katie, really, that’s so very sweet, but you can keep your moles at your place. I wouldn’t want them to feel homesick!

Carol, it could be squirrel mafia or rabbit mafia — it’s sort of like New York or Chicago — just a different family!

5. #5 Sally
    on May 20th, 2007 at 1:09 am

He He. I could send possums, they don’t eat much, only fruit and I don’t have any.

on May 20th, 2007 at 10:25 am

Sally, I don’t have any either. I had designs on growing strawberries last year, but that did not work. At all.

7. #7 Bad browellia « The Inadvertent Gardener
    on Jun 15th, 2007 at 7:19 am

[...] Browellia has not kept up its end of the bargain. There are some flowers, sure, but there has been the incident with the squirrel or other pestilent creature, and there have been other wilting [...]