In exchange for room and board

When I removed the lavender pot from the larger pot of dirt in which it had sat all winter, I decided to use the potting soil that had insulated it as starter material for the (yes, I have one now…) compost pile.

But to do that required dragging the thing across the yard to the back corner, where the landlord suggested we put the pile of, you know, nature’s trash.

Wormy wormI moved it, only to discover one of the biggest, hugest worms I’ve ever seen, along with some huge trenches it had clearly used to move itself around. I watched it squirm around for about 30 seconds (“The light! It burns!”), then did what any self-respecting gardener would do. I went to get the shovel.

“Are you really digging up an earthworm?” Steve said.

Compost pile“I’m putting it on the compost pile,” I said. “I need it to work for me.”

I dropped the worm on the pile of dumped-out, used-up potting soil, and watched it burrow in like it had never been happier.

Just wait, Mr. Worm, I thought. There are all kinds of treats waiting for you in the compost bucket.

12 Comments on “In exchange for room and board”

1. #1 layanee
    on May 25th, 2007 at 8:53 pm

Great compost heap! If you build it, they will come. Not original but true.

on May 25th, 2007 at 9:33 pm

Layanee, yeah, we’ll see — I hope that earthworm has some buddies!

3. #3 steven
    on May 26th, 2007 at 7:54 am

Don’t feel weird for relocating worms, I do it all the time when I’m digging. Of course it’s to keep the dog from eating them…

on May 26th, 2007 at 9:55 am

Steven, I cannot even imagine what the dog’s breath would smell like after a worm snack. Gag.

5. #5 cole
    on May 26th, 2007 at 10:40 am

Genie, dogs lick their butts All.Day.Long. Worms, I woud think, are their least of their breath related problems. xx

6. #6 steven
    on May 26th, 2007 at 11:24 am

Genie, on a good day the dog’s breath smells like the porta-potties at a Chili Cook-off in Hell. The bad days, you dun wanna know.

on May 26th, 2007 at 12:39 pm

Cole, you know, I kind of forgot about that. It’s been so long since I’ve had a dog…and although I keep wanting to remedy that situation, I have not been able to pull it off yet. But soon. And then I’ll be reminded. :-)

Steven, I think you’re right…don’t want to know. But still, they’re great for chasing the critters out of the peas!

8. #8 Alanna
    on May 26th, 2007 at 1:45 pm

A night crawler, perhaps? Maybe your next project is fishing …

9. #9 Captain Lifecruiser
    on May 27th, 2007 at 4:58 am

Hm…. this reminds me about the time I was digging away some lamb-ears (lat. Stachys byzantina) that had spread a bit too much.

I did put the shovel in the earth and OMG – the whole earth was crawling…. There was no place to put the shovel without cutting the worms off! YUK.

So my recommendation if you’re in need of some worms are: grow some lamb-ears ;-)

10. #10 Katiez
    on May 27th, 2007 at 5:07 am

Nice worm!

on May 27th, 2007 at 9:42 am

Alanna, I don’t know…not sure fishing will be my regular pastime… :-)

Captain Lifecruiser, I adore Lamb’s Ears, and thought about growing them this year. Hmm…perhaps I need to think about it. More worms are always good!

Katiez, thanks, and thanks for stopping by!

12. #12 geotrenaiffer
    on Jan 21st, 2009 at 7:32 pm

Nothing seems to be easier than seeing someone whom you can help but not helping.
    I suggest we start giving it a try. Give love to the ones that need it.
    God will appreciate it.