Green Thumb Sunday: Butterfly on chive blossom

Butterfly on chive blossom

I took this photo at Onion Creek Farm in Ames, Iowa exactly one week ago. Gardeners, plant and nature lovers can join in Green Thumb Sunday every week. Visit As the Garden Grows for more information.

9 Comments on “Green Thumb Sunday: Butterfly on chive blossom”

1. #1 ruth
    on Jun 3rd, 2007 at 11:10 am

I love taking photos of butterflies and can often be seen chasing around the garden trying to get to one before it flies away.
    Happy GTS

2. #2 jean
    on Jun 3rd, 2007 at 12:46 pm

Beautiful shot!

3. #3 Captain Lifecruiser
    on Jun 3rd, 2007 at 3:00 pm

Oh, butterflies always are such a delight to spot! And to capture on photo if they stay still long enough. I’m amazed over how vibrant green the background is too. Lovely spring green.

4. #4 thebluestbutterfly
    on Jun 3rd, 2007 at 6:03 pm

What do they grow at Onion Creek farms?

5. #5 chigiy
    on Jun 3rd, 2007 at 6:53 pm

I like the butterfly against the green background.

6. #6 skeet
    on Jun 4th, 2007 at 1:18 am

Beautiful shot! I wish my chives would bloom, but they taste just fine so I’m happy and bloomless!

7. #7 wes
    on Jun 4th, 2007 at 4:55 pm

Onion Creek — That’s a cool name for a place.

Also, neat photo. I wonder what kind of butterfly that is. The only species that I vaguely know the look of are monarch and Nabokov’s blue. That one doesn’t really look like either.

8. #8 wes
    on Jun 4th, 2007 at 5:03 pm

Aha! I think it might be a red admiral (Vanessa atalanta).

on Jun 5th, 2007 at 6:41 am

Ruth, they’re so hard to photograph, but it’s such a bonus when a photo comes out well!

Jean, thank you!

Captain Lifecruiser, you know, I didn’t even really take a close look at that green in the background until you pointed it out…I was so focused on the foreground (metaphor, anyone?). Thanks for noticing that!

Thebluestbutterfly, they grow all kinds of organic vegetables. It’s a lovely place.

Chigiy, thanks and thanks for stopping by. :-)

Skeet, I’ve been trying to grow chive from seed with no luck. I need to go get a seedling.

Wes, I think you may be right — thanks for ID’ing the butterfly! I was wondering, myself, but hadn’t yet gone to do the legwork…