Put a stake in it

Over Memorial Day Weekend, I stopped ignoring the poor Stupice tomato plant, already weighted down with baby tomatoes, and staked it up. At the time, I made sure to do the same for almost all the other potted tomato plants, except for the Brandywine, which was looking awfully sturdy and straight.

Weeks change, times change, and by this week, the Brandywine had taken the kind of tilt that screams, “Yo, Inadvertent, you bettah be doin’ somethin’ ‘bout this…”

This morning, before work, I found myself with the necessary 15 minutes to spend on said staking. The Brandywine got itself a little staking magic, as did the three yellow pear tomato plants that somehow, when I wasn’t paying attention, went from teeny and stunted to a trio of fattened-up, top-heavy plants that also felt the need to lean every which way.

But there is once again joy in Tomatoville, because everyone has the support they need to get down to the business of growing and producing.

Best of all, even after I washed my hands inside, my fingernails still smelled of that green, spicy tomato scent. When I propped my elbow on the windowsill of the car and leaned my head into my hand, I caught the scent, which propelled me to thinking about the tomato days soon to arrive.

7 Comments on “Put a stake in it”

1. #1 kate
    on Jun 6th, 2007 at 9:49 pm

Now that will be wonderful … harvesting the first tomatoes. It sounds as if they are growing happily and will soon be ready to eat.

on Jun 7th, 2007 at 7:35 am

Kate, they are definitely growing happily, although I hesitate to put a date on when they might actually be ready. We’ll see… But you’re right…it’s going to be wonderful. :-)

3. #3 steven
    on Jun 7th, 2007 at 9:09 am

Thanks for reminding me, I need some more bamboo stakes for the last flat of tomatoes. Lucky you, with your tomatoes fruiting already and marmosets eating your insects.

on Jun 7th, 2007 at 11:02 am

Steven, more bamboo and more string for your Florida weave! The marmoset and I are jealous.

5. #5 Lydia
    on Jun 7th, 2007 at 10:03 pm

I am incredibly jealous that you are already seeing tomatoes in the garden. I’ve just started getting some tiny strawberries, and many of the herbs still aren’t ready for harvesting. I am impatient!

on Jun 7th, 2007 at 11:42 pm

Lydia, we can have mutual jealousy — I would love to have strawberries! I’m impatient about the herbs, too — I definitely share your feeling on that. I can’t wait to feel comfortable about harvesting my basil and sage, in particular!

7. #7 A getaway…and a gift accepted – The Inadvertent Gardener
    on Jul 10th, 2015 at 6:02 am

[...] funny how you can miss something without even knowing it. “That’s one of my favorite varieties,” I said. [...]