Not ready for the spaceship

Dead space-age tomato seedlingsI’m going to see the four-and-a-half-year-old tomorrow, and among the things I do not plan to share with her is the fact that I managed to kill the tube of space-age tomato seedlings that she and I started together.

A few days ago, I had the sinking realization that I hadn’t checked on the little tube in quite awhile. My focus had shifted from the garden in the tube to, well, the garden in the garden, and I’d never gone back in the closet.

I removed the tube, which, sadly, was now filled with a clump of unhappy little seedlings in a yellowing clump of goo. There was nothing to transplant…at least, nothing that would be any happier in the earth.

I probably have enough tomatoes in the ground, though, so it’ll be OK. But clearly I’m not ready to grow things in a spaceship. I clearly need to stick to Earth for now.

7 Comments on “Not ready for the spaceship”

1. #1 Michelle
    on Jun 9th, 2007 at 9:05 pm

Oh dear. Well she seems polite from your other posts. Maybe you’ll get lucky and she’ll nod and smile and pat your head and tell her friends about you later when you’re out of earshot.

on Jun 9th, 2007 at 10:53 pm

Michelle, she’s definitely polite…and she has probably forgotten all about planting those tube-y seeds with me. Actually, I think hers died, too. Hmm. Maybe this tube thing isn’t as effective as one might think?

3. #3 kate
    on Jun 11th, 2007 at 9:23 am

So that’s what happened to the space-age tomatoes! Your young gardening friend will be so taken with what’s happening in your garden that she will have forgotten all about the test tube specimens.

on Jun 11th, 2007 at 2:39 pm

Kate, I think she probably has forgotten about them…she definitely didn’t ask me about them — she was too entranced with the kittens on the farm!

5. #5 rachel
    on Jun 11th, 2007 at 3:05 pm

hello! i just have a question, (i followed your link from another gardener’s blog….) i’m growing yellow cucumbers in a pot, and so far they’re really happy. i’m just wondering if they will need a cage or a trellis, or can i let them hang over the pot edges? they’re only about a month old, so they’re not really big yet. i’ve been trying to find info online but the only info i can find is in blogs :) thank you! :)

6. #6 rachel
    on Jun 11th, 2007 at 3:09 pm

hmm.. i’m not sure if i’m logged in or not, so i don’t know if you can reply to my question. :p but my email is rae.maher @ gmail.com in case you have time for my question! thanks! :D

on Jun 11th, 2007 at 4:20 pm

Rachel, I’ve seen people cage and stake their cukes, but have also seen people just grow them directly on the ground. The key is to make sure they have enough room to spread out, if you’re just letting them sprawl.