Green Thumb Sunday: They’re green…for now…

Green, for now

Gardeners, plant and nature lovers can join in Green Thumb Sunday every week. Visit As the Garden Grows for more information.

19 Comments on “Green Thumb Sunday: They’re green…for now…”

1. #1 Mark
    on Jun 10th, 2007 at 6:46 am

Definately green, mine are still at the flower stage.

Cheers Mark

2. #2 Ruth
    on Jun 10th, 2007 at 6:48 am

But just think what you’ve got to look forward too! Happy GTS

3. #3 Michelle
    on Jun 10th, 2007 at 7:16 am

Really really lovely! I bet you can’t wait!

on Jun 10th, 2007 at 7:55 am

Mark, most of mine are still at the flower stage, too, but this one plant is just rocking and rolling. It’s exciting!

Ruth, my mouth’s already watering.

Michelle, definitely can’t wait…

5. #5 Martin
    on Jun 10th, 2007 at 8:18 am

I moved from Canada (garden zone 4) to Gozo (garden zone 10). The idea of eating or cooking with green tomatoes is a foreign concept to people here. My parents used to make a lot of green tomato chow before the as frost time approached.

6. #6 Christina
    on Jun 10th, 2007 at 11:45 am

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS! My plants are covered with green tomatoes too, and each time I look at them, I dribble a little saliva. Oh, but the wait and anticipation IS fun.

7. #7 Chigiy
    on Jun 10th, 2007 at 12:47 pm

They’re beautiful.
    It’s fun to see their progression.
    My tomatoes are tiny still.
    Enjoy.

on Jun 10th, 2007 at 2:12 pm

Martin, when the frost arrived, I used TONS of green tomatoes in cooking — I love using them. I haven’t figured out yet when I’m going to fry some up this year, but at some point, I definitely will. Fried green tomatoes rule.

Christina, I’m totally down with the saliva dribble…cannot WAIT for those bad boys to ripen…

Chigiy, thanks — they appreciate the admiration! I keep doing little dances for them so they’ll ripen…I’m hoping that maybe by July 1 I can be eating them. We’ll see…

9. #9 steven
    on Jun 10th, 2007 at 9:46 pm

I JUST planted the last of my tomatoes. I’m happy for you, but in a totally jealous, begrudging way.

10. #10 skeet
    on Jun 11th, 2007 at 4:32 am

Green and lush and lovley without even a trace of red yet. Soon you’ll have more than you’ll know what to do with!

11. #11 kate
    on Jun 11th, 2007 at 9:24 am

Wow – I’m impressed – especially since I haven’t even planted my tomatoes yet. Lots of green tomato relish in my future, I’m predicting.

on Jun 11th, 2007 at 2:38 pm

Steven, it’s OK. Jealousy…I can take it. :-)

Skeet, and when I do, I will be sure to tell everyone all about it!

Kate, oh, get them in, get them in! You don’t want to miss the very best time of the year…

13. #13 Nirmala
    on Jun 11th, 2007 at 3:58 pm

Your website inspired me to try a hand at growing tomatoes. I’m starting from seed, a little late I know, but growing the early girl variety since harvest time is 52 days vs. 85 for other varieties. I’ll report back if anything comes of it! And of course, you’ll see pictures on my blog.

on Jun 11th, 2007 at 4:21 pm

Nirmala, I’ve heard great things about that variety — I hope you get some good tomatoes! Definitely report back.

15. #15 Sara
    on Jun 11th, 2007 at 6:27 pm

Green Tomatoes for Green Thumb Sunday – a very well chosen subject and photograph. I hope my tomatoes do as well as yours.
    Sara from farmingfriends

on Jun 12th, 2007 at 5:54 am

Sara, thanks for stopping by and the comment! I’m sending you good tomato thoughts, as well.

17. #17 Sally
    on Jun 12th, 2007 at 5:56 am

I am soooo jealous! EVERYBODY has tomatoes growing except me! Humph.

18. #18 Gardenmomma
    on Jun 12th, 2007 at 10:47 pm

Those tomatoes are amazing…they’re going to taste so good!

on Jun 13th, 2007 at 9:57 pm

Sally, do you not have tomatoes growing because you put them in late? Or because you didn’t put them in at all this year?

Gardenmomma, you have no idea how excited I am. I cannot wait.