Business travel shorts

I just returned from a longer-than-a-week business trip (well, business trip capped off by a birthday weekend with my parents), and even though I was away from the garden for longer than I might have liked, the garden, clearly, was not far from me.

1. National security threat

As I was going through security on my way out of Cedar Rapids last Sunday morning, a TSA agent helping shuffle belongings into the x-ray came to full attention, grabbed something off a gentleman’s bag, and flung it to the side as hard as she could.

“Japanese beetle,” she said. “I only know because my mother’s always pulling them out of her raspberry bushes.”

2. The bush-who-must-not-be-named

For weeks, I’ve been driving by a particular kind of flowering bush in town, suffering from a terrible and pernicious mental block.

Hibiscus? No.

Hyacinth? No.

No matter what I did, I could not remember the name of the stupid flowers.

But then I opened the book I’d brought with me on the trip: Book 5 of the Harry Potter series (I’m trying to race through the series again in preparation for the final installment), and there was Harry. Hiding. Behind a Hydrangea bush.

Hydrangea. Of course.

3. A cross word

The clue for 84 Across on the United crossword puzzle for July:
Miracle-____ (plant food)

Boo.

4. No money where my mouth is

As I hurtled down a road outside Emmaus, Pennsylvania, in search of The Farmhouse (eat there if you’re in the neighborhood…it’s mighty tasty…), a baby bunny appeared in the center of the road.

I screamed. My boss screamed. My other co-worker, who was in the back, made an unintelligible noise. I braked, I swerved, I cringed as we rolled overtop of the little, fuzzy, cute, not-eating-my-plants-so-for-a-second-I-felt-sorry-for-it creature.

After we’d passed over it with no thump and no sign of squashed rabbit in the rearview mirror, my coworker in the back, who had admitted earlier to being a regular blog reader, said, “I can’t believe you didn’t try to hit it.”

5. No children, just tomatoes

At a business dinner, my clients and my co-workers were making their way around the table, exchanging kid stories. I’m always prepared for moments like these. I come armed with stories about my godson, my college roommates’ kids, and the various children who belong to my various cousins.

But as the attention turned to me on this particular night—as one of the clients said, “So, Genie, do you have any children?”—my boss, who is always quick with an excellent response, whether it’s in a business meeting or not, said, “She has an excellent blog. About gardening. She grows tomatoes.”

And thus, the conversation turned to my tomatoes. About which, as you regular readers know, I have plenty of stories.

12 Comments on “Business travel shorts”

1. #1 Lydia
    on Jul 17th, 2007 at 4:48 am

Great post — I’m giggling!

on Jul 17th, 2007 at 6:43 am

Thanks, Lydia! :-)

3. #3 cole
    on Jul 17th, 2007 at 8:51 am

Did your tomatoes do okay while you were gone? I mean, the lady of the garden is away and the rabbits have a kegger?

xx

on Jul 17th, 2007 at 9:09 am

Things did OK…I had a waterer on duty. But more on that, probably tonight…I can’t give away my stories ahead of time!

5. #5 Lindak
    on Jul 17th, 2007 at 9:26 am

ROFLOL! Recent memory of mine regarding a security threat? I have metal knees and set off the alarms at the airport – as I told them before I entered the scanner – full pat-down ensued – don’t know what it was about me that looked suspect – the overweight grandmother with blond / grey hair maybe?

Run bunny RUN!!

If you re-read Harry Potter before seeing the movie – the movie will disappoint you. It is a good movie – but they leave SOOOO much out of it. I am starting on a re-read of book 6 in preparation of book 7 – the FINAL chapter. ( I saw the movie Saturday with the Grandkids)

Sounds like you have a great boss!

6. #6 Wayne
    on Jul 17th, 2007 at 2:19 pm

just started reading you blog, and glad I did. I can relate to much of this. I slowed my car to avoid a ground hog a few weeks ago which amazed my wife. Emmaus- spent many a day there eating my grandma’s strudel. I also have to be prepared when children story time comes around. Fortunately, I garden with children where I teach.

7. #7 Katiez
    on Jul 17th, 2007 at 2:46 pm

Okay, that’s all a hoot! Kind of scary the way everything gets tied together, isn’t it? (cue Twilight Sone music)
    Hope you gave your boss an ‘att-a-boy (or girl)’

on Jul 17th, 2007 at 2:49 pm

Linda, I was reading Book 5 before and after seeing the movie on Saturday night — yes, definitely lots left out in the movie. Now somehow I have to fit in all of Book 6 before this weekend…not sure how that’s going to happen, but I’ll try! And yes, I have a great boss. She will, in fact, deny that we are allowed to even call her a boss — she prefers co-worker. :-)

Wayne, I’m glad you stopped by! And I’m glad you’re gardening with the kids where you teach — it’s a great thing to get them started with early.

Katiez, I definitely did — I thought that was hilarious on her part!

9. #9 jen
    on Jul 17th, 2007 at 8:26 pm

Ha! I love your stories. You could be writing about anything, Id still read.

on Jul 18th, 2007 at 12:16 am

Jen, thanks so much — that’s very sweet!

11. #11 Katie
    on Jul 18th, 2007 at 2:31 pm

You’re blog had me giggling because the end of each story was unexpected. Yet hilarious! Thanks for the laugh…

on Jul 18th, 2007 at 3:33 pm