Golden statue bruschetta

I consider the day the Oscars ceremony airs to be something of a national holiday. I love movies, but for years, have harbored a not-so-secret obsession: I must see all the Best Picture nominees before the award show, and I keep a list from the second the nominations press conference ends to track how many nominated films I’ve seen.

It’s also significantly more fun to watch the ceremony with like-minded friends. By that, I mean friends willing to snark all over the place about the dresses, the tuxes, the attitudes, the speeches, the bad jokes, the bad results, and the endless montages.

Last year, I watched the Oscars alone, but this year, gathered with a group of friends to eat, drink and snark until the last little golden man had been handed out. In honor of the occasion, I contributed two different kinds of bruschetta to the festivities: fig and blue cheese, and basil-tomato made with summer produce harvested from the freezer.

The fig and blue cheese combo is, well, scrumptious. But I equally, if not more deeply, enjoyed the bruschetta version made with slow-roasted tomatoes and basil I harvested and chopped from my very own garden. There have been so many times this month when I’ve been thrilled that I thought to freeze the flavors of summer, and there’s no question that all that glittered last night was not Oscar gold.

BruschettaGolden Statue Bruschetta

1 baguette
1/2 c. chopped fresh basil
30 slow-roasted tomato halves
4 Tbsp. grated Parmesan cheese
5 oz. blue cheese
5 Tbsp. fig jam

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
  2. Slice baguette into 20 rounds. Arrange them on a baking sheet.
  3. Top half the slices with approximately 1 Tbsp. chopped basil and three slow roasted tomato halves.
  4. Sprinkle those slices with the Parmesan cheese.
  5. Top the other half of the slices with 1/2 oz. blue cheese each.
  6. Spread 1/2 Tbsp. fig jam on top of the blue cheese on each slice of bread.
  7. Bake the bruschetta for approximately 10 minutes, or until the bread is starting to crisp up and the cheese is melting.
  8. Serve immediately with a side of snark.

Although it’s a little early in the week to be thinking about the weekend, this is my contribution to this week’s edition of Weekend Herb Blogging, which is hosted this week by Zorra from Kochtopf. When the weekend actually arrives, please stop by to check out the full round-up!

15 Comments on “Golden statue bruschetta”

1. #1 Lydia (The Perfect Pantry)
    on Feb 25th, 2008 at 9:15 pm

Hooray for slow-roasted tomatoes in the freezer — this is the time of year when I’m really appreciate them.

on Feb 25th, 2008 at 11:39 pm

Lydia, most definitely — they’re best right now.

3. #3 zorra
    on Feb 26th, 2008 at 2:59 am

These bruschette are Oscar winners, for sure!

Thank you for your participation. The roundup should be online next Monday.

4. #4 Jen(aside)
    on Feb 26th, 2008 at 10:18 am

What is a slow-roasted tomato?

5. #5 gillie
    on Feb 26th, 2008 at 5:03 pm

It’s late(ish) and I’m tired(ish) and those bruschetta would so hit the spot right now.

6. #6 Scott
    on Feb 26th, 2008 at 6:17 pm

I freeze pesto with good result, but I’ve never frozen basil. How does that work?

7. #7 Mare
    on Feb 26th, 2008 at 6:35 pm

Omigawd…fig and blue cheese bruschetta, and basil-tomato made with summer produce harvested from the freezer. Stop that! Now I am hungry…Mary

8. #8 Curtis
    on Feb 26th, 2008 at 8:24 pm

Ohh that sounds good. I just ate supper and the sound and photo of the Bruschette is making my mouth water.

9. #9 Kalyn
    on Feb 27th, 2008 at 7:44 pm

Yummmy! It reminds me to make something out of my slow roasted tomatoes soon. I used to be absolutely a fanatic about making sure I’d seen all the best picture nominations too, but this year I’d only seen two of them. Sigh, does that mean I’m truly old?

10. #10 katie
    on Feb 29th, 2008 at 3:01 pm

I watched – but was totally clueless! Now I have a list of what to see.

on Mar 2nd, 2008 at 9:43 am

Zorra, can’t wait to read the round-up!

Jen(aside), they are divine. You slice the tomatoes in half and cook them very slowly at low heat — sometimes I do them overnight. The house smells amazing when you wake up!

Gillie, if you were here, I’d make up a batch just for you.

Scott, I learned this technique from Kalyn of Kalyn’s Kitchen. It’s pretty simple — just whirr up the basil in the food processor with just enough olive oil to moisten the leaves — that seems to be the secret to keeping it green.

Mary, I’d make up a batch for you, too! They were so delicious.

Curtis, glad my post is having the desired effect!

Kalyn, it probably means you have a life of better balance? I don’t think it has a thing to do with age. That’s my story, and I’m stickin’ to it!

Katie, this year involved a good list…although the movies were all so dark!

12. #12 A scientist in the kitchen
    on Mar 3rd, 2008 at 5:46 am

Yum yum yum…. I can’t wait to take a bite of those lovely bruschetta!

Gay

on Mar 3rd, 2008 at 6:17 am

Gay, I hope you enjoy them as much as I did!

14. #14 Kaykat
    on Mar 3rd, 2008 at 7:26 pm

Yum! I love the idea of using figs with bruschetta – can’t wait to try it now.

on Mar 14th, 2008 at 12:09 pm

Kaykat, it’s a great, great combo. And actually, recently I got an idea from someone in Oregon that it might be terrific served up with a glass of port…