Spring, delayed.

Why is it that every year, I speak too soon about the whole end-of-winter business? I mean, seriously. Every year.

Only this year, I thought there might be something to it. You know, it being Spring today. And yesterday. And the day before.

I stumbled across this quote from a helpful National Weather Service meteorologist in an AP article this morning:

“Everyone is pretty tired of the snow but I think most people will agree these types of storms aren’t unusual in the spring,” National Weather Service meteorologist Steve Davis said. “These kinds of early-spring, late-winter storms are fairly common.”

Thanks, Steve Davis. Thanks for your insight into the fairly common problem of never. ending. snow.

For those of you who may be wondering why I’m including this long-winded, weather-whiny intro O’Hare. Right. Now.to the real meat of this post, it’s because I have plenty of time. I’m stuck in O’Hare right now, looking out at precipitation falling, waiting to board a plane that has already been delayed three times.

I’m doubly unhappy about the weather for more than just the normal reasons–on this trip, I managed to leave my winter coat at my parents’ house in Pennsylvania. I haven’t needed the stupid coat for most of my trip, and, well, just plum forgot it. So I’m facing my return to a never-ending winter (and a walk through the snow to board my plane outside) with an Old Navy hoodie.

Ah — another phone call from United. Another delay. This is real-time blogging, people! REAL-TIME WEATHER-BLOGGING.

The upshot of this is that for those of you who might be planning to meet me at the CSA Fair to pick up your swag (and, hopefully, support your local farmers), please accept my apologies — if I get there at all, I’m going to be woefully late. If you stop by and miss me, just leave a note in the comments — if there’s enough interest, I’ll arrange a meet-up sometime in the next two weeks in Iowa City. I will arrange it for a time when there are, in fact, no airplanes involved.

14 Comments on “Spring, delayed.”

1. #1 nezza
    on Mar 22nd, 2008 at 4:41 pm

I feel your pain! I was delayed in Newark airport for 8 hours once. Not due to snow. Just a sick plane – and since it was 4th July weekend everything else was jammed full so they couldn’t squeeze us onto any other flights. I was en route to LA from the UK. By the time I got there I’d been up for 36 hours and was reeling.

Hope you get home safely.

(I’ve just spent the last two days lugging a load of garden rubbish/rubble into my skip – it did finally arrive. It was howling a gale the whole time, I got repeatedly rained on, snowed on, hailed on, sleeted on etc. It was MISERABLE! But I’ve survived and I’m on a sort of ‘high’ now the job is finished. Just thought I’d mention that in case the thought of a cold, wet, bedraggled British gal brightened up your day at all! I ache everywhere now…)

2. #2 kate smudges
    on Mar 22nd, 2008 at 7:45 pm

I hope that you are getting nearer to home. What a bummer to miss out on the CSA fair.

It will be a big relief when spring truly arrives and we’re over those periods of ‘early-spring storms’. I’m getting fed up of snow … ours was melting steadily until yesterday. Now it’s freezing again.

3. #3 Alanna
    on Mar 23rd, 2008 at 4:47 am

Don’t wanna snow on your parade but I remember a big spring storm — in April, in fact late April as I recall — that dumped so much snow that we were out of school for a whole week, the first three days for snow, the last two days for mud. Happy Easter, Genie!

4. #4 gillie
    on Mar 23rd, 2008 at 10:27 am

I hope you made it home in time for the fair. We have had snow too … all weekend, put paid to the garden Easter Egg Hunt. I had to re-write all the clues for inside! It also put paid to the weekend gardening I had planned … so I knitted and quilted instead :)

on Mar 23rd, 2008 at 2:57 pm

Nezza, that’s quite a story about the hauling in all kinds of weather! Glad you’re done, and I hope the aches and pains subside quickly. And ugh…getting stuck in Newark…that just happened to me in December and it’s not fun!

Katesmudges, I’m definitely fed up with snow, too. What a mess! It’s been snowing of and on all day today — nothing sticking, really, but the fact that it is out there is highly irritating.

Alanna, a late April storm might make me curl up in the fetal position. Thanks for planting that in my head! Happy Easter to you, though, as well — here’s to garden resurrections!

Gillie, I hope the indoor version of the Easter Egg Hunt went well today!

6. #6 Robin
    on Mar 23rd, 2008 at 3:11 pm

My husbands flight was canceled in Chicago on Thursday and made for some serious business headaches. He absolutely hates winter air travel.

on Mar 23rd, 2008 at 3:51 pm

Robin, I’m right there with your husband — can’t stand it, just because of all those delays!

8. #8 Jen (aaron-n-jen.com)
    on Mar 24th, 2008 at 8:01 am

I was looking for you at the CSA Fair. Bummer!

9. #9 Spinach, reseeded « The Inadvertent Gardener
    on Mar 25th, 2008 at 6:48 am

[...] Published March 25, 2008 Status check , Vegetables , Weather I did, after my extended stay at O’Hare, finally arrive home over the weekend. I’d been gone for 12 days on what felt like the longest [...]

on Mar 25th, 2008 at 7:05 am

Jen, email me your address, and I’ll get a little consolation prize out to you — I’m sorry we missed each other!

11. #11 hotfessional
    on Mar 25th, 2008 at 5:31 pm

I recognize that picture of O’Horror. Oh, you know I do. ;-)

on Mar 26th, 2008 at 11:27 am

Hotfessional, oh yes…I totally know how you know. And oh how I wish we didn’t have to know so well…

13. #13 Jancd
    on Apr 4th, 2008 at 10:06 pm

Just had to tell you that I have 2 tomatoes on my plants that I put in pots. I have over 24 bean bushes coming up and I am so excited. Just remember that in Houston, we plant our gardens in February, then fight with the mosquitoes the rest of the gardening season. I have a small garden with 8 tomato plants in the ground, the beans, okra that I have not planted yet and 2 potted tomatoes. It’s fun and I can never get enough fresh home-grown tomatoes.

on Apr 5th, 2008 at 7:55 am

Jancd, that’s super-exciting! I can’t get enough of fresh home-grown tomatoes, either, and I’m psyched for you that you get to plant in February. OK, I’m pysched…and a little bit jealous. :-)