Death to the dead plant

It’s one thing not to clean up your garden for the winter, but leaving the hanging basket up on your front porch with a dead plant for several months in a row? That’s crazy talk. Or crazy doing.

Whatever it is called, I did it. There was a point in the winter when I just decided that the dead plants looked like some kind of cool, structural, khaki plant sculpture. Plus, there was that whole issue of if I spent any time outside trying to take down the basket, my fingers would freeze off, which would make it very difficult to type this blog. And then you would have nothing to read.

Do you see how I do what I do for the people? I thought so.

But now it is spring, even though it snowed yesterday in Cedar Rapids, which made my right eye twitch uncontrollably for half an hour and made me huddle in the corner muttering, “Mommy. Mommy. Mommy.” Then that all stopped and I went about my afternoon.

Before all that, though, and over the weekend, I realized it was beyond time to actually take down the basket and replace the dead plant with something more, you know, springy. And alive.

11 Comments on “Death to the dead plant”

1. #1 Jen (aaron-n-jen.com)
    on Apr 9th, 2008 at 9:07 am

I put some pretty plastic Christmas-y plants in my two hanging baskets on my covered porch over the winter. I thought it would look tacky, but I think it turned out looking okay. I took them down as soon as the snow disappeared, and now I’m not sure what to put in there!

2. #2 Sherry Peyton
    on Apr 9th, 2008 at 12:28 pm

Too funny. I was stomping around in anger yesterday at that shower of snow. And its cold again today and supposed to stay that way until next week. What has happened to Spring in Iowa? And yeah, I can also relate to hanging baskets of dead flowers stems. I have a bunch!

3. #3 Heather's Garden
    on Apr 9th, 2008 at 3:44 pm

I can top that. Not only did I leave all the dead plants in all the hanging baskets (and plain old sitting on the stump containers), I left the vegetable garden as is. And my Christmas wreath is still on my front door!

4. #4 Sally
    on Apr 10th, 2008 at 7:39 am

We call that “structural elements for a winter garden” ’round these parts.

5. #5 ourfriendben
    on Apr 10th, 2008 at 10:25 am

Oh geez. I think this is the best blog post title ever. It ought to be a book, or maybe a mini-series. (Reality TV show?!) Ha!!!!!!!

6. #6 Jean Ann
    on Apr 10th, 2008 at 5:22 pm

Excellent…I like how you think!

7. #7 chigiy
    on Apr 11th, 2008 at 11:42 pm

So when do we get to see the springy and alive thing?
    I like the eye-twitcing and muttering mommy, mommy, it made me LOL as they say. It reminded me or something of equal weirdness that I did when I went rafting on white-water that was way to difficult for me.

Waiting to see springy thingy on porch.

8. #8 Ottawa Gardener
    on Apr 15th, 2008 at 8:35 am

Snow after March is just wrong. We should outlaw it. I know because I said/wrote that, it is now snowing outside. Wait, nope still spring… for the shorterm anyhow.

9. #9 kate
    on Apr 15th, 2008 at 6:11 pm

Maybe this is the reason I don’t have hanging baskets … I have enough trouble cleaning out the planters before replanting them at the end of May.

Snow’s just no fair … yesterday it was 80F here and by Monday next, we’re supposed to have snow too. Today was a rainy, cool day … at least the garden looks somewhat less messy.

10. #10 Annie in Austin
    on Apr 15th, 2008 at 7:32 pm

On a few occasions the birds assumed a hanging basket was left up on purpose just for them to nest in – or maybe it’s too early for chilly little birds to mate in Iowa, Genie?

The upside is you’d have weeks and weeks to decide what to plant after the fledglings leave.

Annie at the Transplantable Rose

on Apr 22nd, 2008 at 5:32 am

Jen, have you figured out what to put in there yet?

Sherry, I’m glad I’m not the only one…

Heather, actually, I did the same thing with most of my plants and the garden. Sigh. But the wreath — you have me topped with the wreath.

Sally, I love that — great way to put it!

Ourfriendben, it would be a terrific soap opera, I think.

Jean Ann, thanks!

Chigiy, LOL…you have to watch out for dangerous whitewater…

Ottawa Gardener, has the snow there stopped yet?

Kate, has your weather settled down in the last week?

Annie, I really wish the birds had settled in the hanging basket, because that would have given me an excuse not to plant. Sigh. Not so much luck. There are plenty of birds outside right now, though.