Green Thumb Sunday: Artichokes, Lake Merritt

Artichokes, Lake Merritt

Gardeners, plant and nature lovers can join in Green Thumb Sunday every week. Visit As the Garden Grows for more information.

16 Comments on “Green Thumb Sunday: Artichokes, Lake Merritt”

1. #1 Laura
    on May 11th, 2008 at 10:18 am

Nice Artichoke plants. I love their texture! Happy GTS!

on May 11th, 2008 at 10:26 am

Laura, happy GTS to you, too!

3. #3 deb
    on May 11th, 2008 at 11:45 am

I have never eaten an artichoke other than in a dip. It’s one of those foods that I find a bit intimidating lol!
    It is a beautiful plant, though :)
    Happy GTS!

4. #4 sara
    on May 11th, 2008 at 11:50 am

I’ve never seen an artichoke on the stem…they’re gorgeous. Good Luck with the move!

5. #5 captain lifecruiser
    on May 11th, 2008 at 3:00 pm

They really are gorgeous. I haven’t seem them in a garden like that and now I wonder why not? They are simply wonderful, more people should plant them.

6. #6 malisa
    on May 11th, 2008 at 3:52 pm

I’m not a big fan of eating them, but I do plant them as ornamentals (and occasionally my husband eats one). They’re gorgeous!

7. #7 Aiyana
    on May 11th, 2008 at 8:42 pm

Artichokes make such wonderful ornamental plants, Sort of a “twofer” plant. Something to eat, something to look at. Happy GTs,
    Aiyana

8. #8 Vero
    on May 12th, 2008 at 11:36 am

So beautiful!
    happy GTS

9. #9 plot_thickens
    on May 12th, 2008 at 11:41 am

Oh wow! Oakland! Welcome to the neighborhood! THIS IS SO COOL!

I’m right over in Alameda, and I’d LOVE to help you with anything you need when you land, because I love your blog and your writing and think you’re the coolest thing since Etsy. And that’s a high compliment!

There are some really really really cool things around I’ve got to tell you about. The river park near Piedmont Ave, Strawberry Creek’s name, Boccalone and where to go for a picnic, oh my there are so many many cool Slow things to discuss.

YEAYYYY!!!! One of my favoritest bloggers is moving right next door! This is SO COOL!!!!

10. #10 Scott at Realepicurean
    on May 12th, 2008 at 5:32 pm

I’m a big fan of artichokes. They’re a pain in the arse to get hold of around here though.

11. #11 Anthony
    on May 13th, 2008 at 9:03 am

I love Stuffed Artichokes or Artichokes in dips and definitely can’t get enough of Artichokes Hearts in pasta dishes. But I never knew that the plant was so good looking. I could probably grow one of those in the front yard and it would fit in nicely with the flowers and shrubs.

12. #12 gillie
    on May 13th, 2008 at 3:07 pm

What beautiful artichokes. We haven’t grown them for a few years, but they are back in the garden again this year. I am always torn between harvesting them to eat and leaving them to flower. I just adore their shape and their colours.

13. #13 gardenqueen
    on May 15th, 2008 at 5:31 pm

Welcome to California! May your garden, whenever you find it, flourish.

14. #14 Curtis
    on May 15th, 2008 at 6:42 pm

I have also only eaten Artichoke in a dip interesting plants.

15. #15 wiseacre
    on May 18th, 2008 at 6:32 am

Don’t laugh when I say I’m going to try growing some so far north. I ran across a little green house and farm stand the other day and the owner has started about 50 for himself. He promised to save me a couple to try. I hate them but they are too cool looking not to grow. Besides the wife and kids think they are a daily requirement.

on May 23rd, 2008 at 11:26 am

Deb, they may be intimidating, but the flavor cannot be beat.

Sara, I’d never seen them on the stem either — I was pretty psyched!

Captain Lifecruiser, I’m wondering whether they’re very hard to grow.

Malisa, they definitely are gorgeous. I’m so jealous that you’re growing them!

Aiyana, yes — a twofer plant — I like it!

Vero, thanks and happy GTS to you, too.

plot_thickens, thank you so much for the wonderful welcome to town! Stay tuned…I’m going to probably try to plan some sort of meet-up event once I’m on the ground in Cali.

Scott, I can’t wait to live where artichokes are more plentiful…and cheaper!

Anthony, artichoke hearts in pasta are fabulous. One of my goals is to get my hands on some baby artichokes — apparently you can eat the entire thing, and I’m dying to try that.

Gillie, they are gorgeous. I don’t think I could leave them out to flower — I’d have to eat them!

gardenqueen, thanks so much for the sweet welcome.

Curtis, you should try them other ways — artichoke dip is tasty, but just scratching the surface of what you can do with these tasty veggies!

Wiseacre, I’m not laughing — I’m impressed! Can’t wait to hear how they work that far north.