Guest post: A garden out of control

Editor’s Note: This is a guest post by Chase Ledebur, my cousin Kären’s son. Chase has been gardening this summer for the first time at home, and I wanted you to hear from this wonderful and talented 12-year-old in his very own words.

Hi, I’m Chase – welcome to my garden. This is the first vegetable garden I’ve had at home. At school I was a part of planting a community garden, but it is a flower garden.

My Mom and I built the raised bed together and then planted 4 varieties of tomatoes, summer squash, three kinds of peppers, zucchini, Japanese eggplant, basil and oregano.

I have really enjoyed watching the plants grow and bear fruit. At first it started out small, but it’s now out of control. It’s so out of control that we had to cut back all our plants, stake some of them, and we are constantly harvesting all of our vegetables.

I love the whole process. Next year I think we’ll plant less, or maybe we’ll add another bed.

20 Comments on “Guest post: A garden out of control”

1. #1 Mark
    on Aug 13th, 2008 at 6:42 am

Chase,

The garden looks great! Good job!

Dad

2. #2 perennialgardenlover
    on Aug 13th, 2008 at 6:48 am

Great looking veggie bed Chase! Good job!

3. #3 Lydia (The Perfect Pantry)
    on Aug 13th, 2008 at 7:15 am

Great post, Chase! Looking forward to more reports from your garden.

4. #4 Photography shouldn’t distract from weeding « The Inadvertent Gardener
    on Aug 13th, 2008 at 7:53 am

[...] paths to the garden « Green Thumb Sunday: Sunflower unfurling Guest post: A garden out of control [...]

on Aug 13th, 2008 at 7:55 am

Mark, he’s done a terrific job! Thanks for stopping by to read.

Perennialgardenlover, isn’t it great?

Lydia, thanks for posting — I’d love to get more reports from Chase, too!

6. #6 gintoino
    on Aug 13th, 2008 at 8:26 am

Way to go Chase! That’s a beautiful garden you have there. Keep up the good work.

7. #7 nhnursery
    on Aug 13th, 2008 at 8:52 am

Great job Chase! I bet you end up adding another bed, once the gardening bug bites it’s hard to do less.

8. #8 jen maiser
    on Aug 13th, 2008 at 8:53 am

Chase, you’ve done a great job – looks like you have a jungle of tomatoes there!

G, great idea!

9. #9 Allison
    on Aug 13th, 2008 at 9:45 am

Awesome job Chase! You have so many talents. Next time I come in town I want you to teach me a few things. Love you very much!

10. #10 Bruce Davis
    on Aug 13th, 2008 at 11:26 am

Hi Chase,
    My but I like what you wrote about your garden. Excellent writing! You engage the reader.

Be careful. It looks like your garden might grab you and pull you back in to the ” veggie jungle.”

When I was a lad, about your age, my parents had me in charge of our “Victory Garden.” It was during world war two and everyone was encouraged to have a Victory Garden so as to help with the war effort.

I wasn’t a good gardener. My parents didn’t help me. My plants died or burned up. Clearly you are a superb gardener. Good for you.

Keep on with your writing. You have the makings of being s super duper writer.

I have to go now because there is a giant in my room and I must ask him to leave. You how it is with those giants. So messy.

Grandma is in Seattle so I don’t know if she has seen your article and latest picture.

With love,
    Grandpa

11. #11 Karen Ledebur
    on Aug 13th, 2008 at 12:36 pm

Thanks Genie for putting me on your blog and thanks to people for your nice comments. My garden is a jungle of tomatoes. My Mom is busy chopping and freezing them to make marinara and soup. I’m not eating the pesto though. I don’t really know what that is but it’s green. I discovered my dog is eating the small tomatoes. (Buddy is sometimes a pain in the butt.) If I plant another bed I want to have corn, carrots, and pumpkins. I have mysterious seed a girl once gave me that I want to plant too. I put some praying mantis in this garden to keep the bugs down and that was good.

Dad it’s too bad you don’t eat tomatoes.
    Grandpa I’m keeping the giant away from my garden for sure.
    Allison I’ll try to teach you something I guess.

12. #12 Real Estate Broker from Ithaca, NY
    on Aug 13th, 2008 at 6:59 pm

Hey Chase! Nice garden. I’m probably three times your age but it looks like you have me beat in the green thumb department! I’m planning on expanding my garden next year too. I’m learning as I grow.

13. #13 kitty joe
    on Aug 13th, 2008 at 7:34 pm

um…these comments made me cry. dad, grandpa, and chase so excited, innocent yet mature. nice.

14. #14 Daniel
    on Aug 14th, 2008 at 4:55 pm

Chase,

Think about using cover crops during different times of the year.

Check out my post @ http://blog.agroguru.org

Best of luck!

Daniel

15. #15 Grandma Joan
    on Aug 14th, 2008 at 6:13 pm

Chase..Congratulations on your amazing success as a gardener. It is obvious you have worked very hard in order to produce vegetables that look so strong and healthy. Gardening takes much persistence…you never can slack off on the water, weeding and plant tending. You deserve a trophy for this summer accomplishment! Thank you for sharing your garden news with us.
    Grandma Joan

16. #16 Karen Ledebur
    on Aug 14th, 2008 at 7:31 pm

Grandma….You’re telling me. You don’t just have to take care of the garden but then you have to do something with your vegetables or else what’s the point?! Love, Chase

17. #17 Photography shouldn’t distract from weeding « The Inadvertent Gardener
    on Aug 15th, 2008 at 8:40 pm

[...] gear and veggies are popping out all over. As it turned out, he was interested, so stay tuned – on Wednesday, I’ll be turning the floor over to Chase, who is more than just an excellent gardener – he’s a fantastic [...]

18. #18 Grandma Ledebur
    on Aug 20th, 2008 at 6:37 pm

Great job, Chase. Thanks for the tomatoes for my birthday. Grandpa and I ate a Bacon, Lettuce, and Tomato Sandwich and the tomato was delicious. I liked your picture when the garden was just planted and now, when the garden has big plants. Love, Grandma Ledebur

19. #19 ooopinionsss
    on Dec 3rd, 2008 at 11:06 am

How you think when the economic crisis will end? I wish to make statistics of independent opinions!

on Dec 3rd, 2008 at 9:10 pm