The nerd approach to garden location

The next step in the find-a-garden-plot investigation was to email the guy who runs the community gardening program. I figured there was no way I’d get in at Lake Merritt, but as I said, I figured there had to be some plot, somewhere in Oakland, where I could just slide right in, no problem.

As it turns out, I am a misguided human being.

My return email from the coordinator:

I have wait lists for almost all of the gardens. Please let me know which garden you are interested in joining. I will warn you that the Lakeside garden has a list of over 45 people and is by far the longest and slowest list.

Of course it is. That’s the showcase garden, the one where they actually train people up on issues like composting. It’s also the closest to my apartment.

But, like I said, I had little hope I’d get in there, so it is what it is. My next step? I’m going to have to get a little nerdy on this project. While the Oakland City Government page offers good photos and descriptions of each plot, I have yet to really be able to look at a list of Oakland addresses and be able to locate them in my head on a mental map.

It’s time to make the first-ever Inadvertent Gardener Google Map. I mean, what is gardening if not a technological activity? Once I have the lay of the land plotted out, I’ll be able to decide which waiting list I want to join.

8 Comments on “The nerd approach to garden location”

1. #1 http://astitchintime.blogspot.com/
    on Nov 15th, 2008 at 9:47 pm

When you make your wonderfully techie Google-Garden map you will share it with us all, right? Just so we can marvel in its techie greatness and pity the poor city-dwellers who must wait up to 5 years for a garden plot.

(in the meantime, I’ll keep an ear out in case someone has room in their backyard for a “guest gardener”)

on Nov 15th, 2008 at 11:59 pm

Deb, will absolutely share! That’s part of the plan. Stay tuned… :-)

3. #3 http://kalynskitchen.blogspot.com/
    on Nov 16th, 2008 at 7:42 am

Well I’m sure it’s no consolation, but this is sure making me appreciate my backyard garden. (However, your social life may more than make up for it, so just appreciate where you live for that!)

4. #4 Rosemary
    on Nov 16th, 2008 at 9:39 am

Good luck on the search, may one be just around the corner.

5. #5 Lydia (The Perfect Pantry)
    on Nov 16th, 2008 at 12:55 pm

Genie, I’d give you a garden plot as big as you could wish for, if only you were a wee bit closer to Rhode Island!

on Nov 16th, 2008 at 7:49 pm

Kalyn, no worries on that front — I definitely am appreciating where I live…and the associated social life!

Rosemary, thank you — much appreciated!

Lydia, if I were closer to RI, I would be at your house possibly more often than you would wish!

7. #7 Gardens: mapped – The Inadvertent Gardener
    on Nov 21st, 2008 at 7:16 pm

[...] map? [...]

8. #8 Those who don’t know history are doomed… « FutureOakland
    on Dec 30th, 2008 at 9:06 am

[...] finally found a sympathetic cause. Brahm’s Blog recording the travails of the People’s Grocery, the Inadvertent Gardener’s quest to get space in a community garden, and Urban Farmer raising animals and vegetables in the heart of Ghost Town, explore today’s [...]