Tiny white spots on a backside? Never good.

When my parents were visiting, I pointed out my struggling basil plant and noted that, though I had aids to keep me from forgetting to water it (and, indeed, hadn’t even OVERwatered it), it looked pretty wretched. The leaves had gotten limp and had started to lose their color, and I’d already cut back half the plant, so there weren’t even all that many leaves left anyway.

“I should probably just put it out of its misery,” I told my parents. “It’s not like it’s growing.”

“Maybe you should mist its leaves,” said my Dad.

I do, indeed, have a teeny-tiny mister, but I rejected that idea. Mostly because that would involve walking the whole way across my apartment (that’s 12-15 steps, people…maybe 16 if you’re limping or something), and open a closet door, and remove said mister, and fill it up with water, and DO YOU SEE??? That’s a lot of effort for eight leaves of basil.

Because of this, I just didn’t deal with the thing until the following weekend, when I was having people over, and felt like half-dead basil was not appropriate décor. I decided I would cut back the last of the leaves, wash them and wrap them in paper towels (just like Rachael Ray), and put them in the fridge to use sometime in the next 24 hours.

But when I went to cut the leaves, I noticed tiny white spots all over their backsides.

As we all know, tiny white spots on a backside? Not usually a good sign. I looked closer, and determined that, indeed, they were one of two things: some kind of disease or some kind of larva. Regardless, I was not going to eat that. Not even with a good freshwater rinse.

And that, ladies and gentlemen, was the end of my basil plant.

8 Comments on “Tiny white spots on a backside? Never good.”

1. #1 Ree
    on Dec 13th, 2008 at 3:50 pm

Yea, white spots on your backside. Definitely an issue. ;-)

2. #2 http://kalynskitchen.blogspot.com/
    on Dec 13th, 2008 at 5:46 pm

I’ve never managed to grow basil indoors. It think it needs the heat as well as the light. That’s my theory anyway!

on Dec 14th, 2008 at 7:41 am

Ree, hee!

Kalyn, I think you’re right. It’s a Meditteranean herb for a reason!

4. #4 http://dart1121.blogspot.com/
    on Dec 15th, 2008 at 9:34 am

I can relate. Even my chives died this year. Hrumph!

5. #5 http://foodhappens.blogspot.com/
    on Dec 15th, 2008 at 3:01 pm

Another who has NOT had good luck with basil indoors. I can over-winter a rosemary plant with relative ease… but no way on the basil. My backsides get ALL white and spotty. LOL!

on Dec 16th, 2008 at 5:40 am

Sally, were you trying to grow the chives inside?

Foodhappens, you crack me up. I was thinking I should try a rosemary plant in the future, which is something I’ve thought about before, but for whatever reason, never think about at the appropriate time to actually acquire one and bring it inside…

7. #7 Al_Pal
    on Jan 2nd, 2009 at 11:00 pm

Rough. I think that’s called ‘scale’. My bf took horticulture a few years ago & is the resident green thumb. He removes that stuff from our houseplants [& yardplants] with rubbing alcohol & physical removal.
    Our lemon tree is finally coming back! ;p

on Jan 3rd, 2009 at 10:06 am

Al_Pal, hooray for the lemon tree! I’ve used a mixture of rubbing alcohol and vinegar to remove stuff before, but yeah — it’s gross.