Chorizo with figs

If someone told me I was only allowed to make one category of cuisine for the rest of my life, I would tell them where to shove it. However, if I was really cornered on this issue, since violence is not the answer, I believe I would say, “OK, then. Tapas it is.”

First of all, I think there are, in the common lexicon, some loopholes in that choice. I don’t think I’d have to go purely with Spain. Instead, I could go with Latin and South America, for example, and maybe California, which might let me sneak in Asia on the side. And really, isn’t tapas as a concept all about small plates and small portions? So couldn’t I serve, well, anything as a tapa?

But I realize that there are purists out there who just decided to stop reading my blog. Wait a minute, purists! I lived in Spain. I understand the concept. And I do love the quite traditional Spanish tapas.

Here’s one of my favorites, an easy one that can be made ahead and reheated—in fact, it does better with that treatment—and that makes the whole house smell amazing while it’s cooking. This recipe is adapted from one I found somewhere on the Internet long enough ago that I cut and pasted it onto a piece of paper that I keep in my disorganized file of favorite recipes—if I ever figure out the original source, I’ll happily point you in that direction.

Chorizo with figs
(Serves 6-8 as a tapa)

1 Tbsp. olive oil
1 lb. chorizo (I used Fra’Mani Salametto Picante in my most recent batch), sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 small red onion, sliced lengthwise
1/2 c. red wine
1/2 c. sherry vinegar
1/2 c. sugar
1 1/2 c. dried figs (I like white figs in this recipe), trimmed and halved
1 stick cinnamon
1 tsp. cloves

1. In a medium saucepan, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the garlic, onion and chorizo and stir for about four minutes, until the garlic and onion is soft and starting to brown.
2. Add the sugar and stir vigorously for approximately 30 seconds, being sure to coat all the ingredients.
3. Add the wine, vinegar, dried figs, cinnamon and cloves. Heat to a simmer and let simmer for approximately 30 minutes, until the sauce has reduced and created a glaze for the chorizo and figs.
4. Serve immediately, or let cool and reheat for serving. I will often reheat this in a 1-quart slow cooker and just leave it on during a party so guests can help themselves.

This is my post for Weekend Herb Blogging this week, which is being hosted by Pam from The Backyard Pizzeria. Be sure to swing by her establishment for a slice of this week’s roundup!

11 Comments on “Chorizo with figs”

1. #1 http://foodhappens.blogspot.com/
    on Jan 9th, 2009 at 10:43 am

I’m right there with you when it comes to the tapas… nice work here. Love the fig/chorizo combo.

2. #2 Al_Pal
    on Jan 9th, 2009 at 11:07 am

Sounds NOM! :D

3. #3 Lynda Flam
    on Jan 9th, 2009 at 11:58 am

Now thats a combo I had never thought of , but it does make sense. I will have to try it myself.

4. #4 Susan
    on Jan 9th, 2009 at 12:19 pm

mmmmmm I love figs. That sounds delicious

on Jan 9th, 2009 at 2:33 pm

Foodhappens, thanks! I also discovered it’s quite tasty reheated with some blue or goat cheese sprinkled over the top.

Al_Pal, it’s outrageously good. Very rich, though — hard to eat a lot of it in a sitting.

Lynda Flam, I hope you enjoy it when you give it a try!

Susan, I love figs, too, and love that this recipe works with the dried kind, so it becomes somewhat seasonless.

6. #6 http://totallyineptbalconygardener.blogspot.com/
    on Jan 9th, 2009 at 4:53 pm

looks so so so yummy. Just love Chorizo, and figs, but i’ve never paired them together.

We do a yummy chorizo dish here with blood orange, baby spinach and mustard. Divine and zesty

on Jan 9th, 2009 at 5:15 pm

Balconygardener, that combo sounds really delicious, too. Just saw blood oranges in the grocery store the other day. LOVE blood oranges.

8. #8 Store-grown padróns – The Inadvertent Gardener
    on Apr 7th, 2009 at 11:46 pm

[...] But we were in the original, surrounded by pottery and paella pans and food that made me feel like we had walked back in time to the two and a half years when my parents and I lived just outside Madrid. [...]

9. #9 Contigo has stolen my heart – The Inadvertent Gardener
    on Apr 16th, 2009 at 1:39 am

[...] made no secret of my love of tapas. I also adore restaurants (or, really, any business) with a sense of their impact on the world [...]

10. #10 mike
    on Jun 6th, 2010 at 8:53 am

Made this last night for a tapas dinner party and it was just absolutely excellent. We did not expect that much intensity and complexity from it. I’ve also shared it on FB for ya.

Thanks, Mike

on Jun 6th, 2010 at 10:09 am

Mike, that’s awesome — so glad you enjoyed it!