From seed to seedlings

On Sunday afternoon, I returned to the scene of my planting back in December. Although I’d seen pictures that demonstrated actual seedling growth, I did have some trepidation, imagining the bed that I planted to be barren (again, I had seen pictures of radish seedlings, but they were up close and, well, PhotoShop is a powerful program), while the bed Cameron planted to be lush and filled with vegetables.

Luckily, I was wrong. Of course, I was standing on Anita and Cam’s upstairs deck, pointing out seedlings like a cartographer, and from there, it appeared there was a Very Large Hole in the center of the bed I worked on.

“Down there are the radishes,” I told a friend who was patiently taking the aerial tour. “And those seedlings in the ditch are leeks.” I gulped. “And I don’t remember what it is in the middle, but they’re apparently not doing as well as the other things I planted.”

Anita, who was up there with us, leaned over. “No, everything came up,” she said. “You just can’t see it from here. Those are the beets.”

And indeed, as it turned out, upon a closer, ground-level inspection, everything had come up. The beet seedlings are near-microscopic, indeed, but you can tell that they’re what they purported to be on the package.

“See?” I said to anyone who would listen. “Beets!”

But since we were all there for a pig roast, people were much less interested in vegetables that afternoon than in meat. Still, after a summer away from gardening, it spurred me on toward locking in that community garden plot. Because as exciting as the pig was, it was at least as exciting, if not more, to see those seedlings popping up where I’d buried rows of small seeds.

10 Comments on “From seed to seedlings”

1. #1 Anita / Married with dinner
    on Jan 27th, 2009 at 9:35 am

it’s only because the peas and onions are in such rude health that everything else is hard to see. when they were all microscopic, you could make out faint green squiggles in all the rows, even from the upper deck.

on Jan 27th, 2009 at 10:10 am

Ah, got it. I like your gracious explanation, Anita. ;-)

3. #3 Curtis
    on Jan 27th, 2009 at 12:47 pm

Growing spring time veggies in your area now. I guess it is spring where you live.

Here in the middle of this great land of ours we see white stuff or ice on trees. Does it ever get below 32F there?

on Jan 27th, 2009 at 9:28 pm

Curtis, hardly ever. People swear to me that we get frost, but I haven’t seen any yet. And I do not miss it for a second. :-)

5. #5 Fern @ Life on the Balcony
    on Jan 27th, 2009 at 11:03 pm

Isn’t it amazing. No matter how many times I sow seeds, I always feel like my own private miracle has occurred when they sprout. How can something that looks like a tiny pebble make a beautiful plant?!

on Jan 28th, 2009 at 7:38 pm

Fern, it’s a wonderful transformation.

7. #7 Ree
    on Jan 31st, 2009 at 5:14 pm

I’m so jealous. It’s 17 here right now. ;-)

8. #8 http://www.theperfectpantry.com/
    on Feb 1st, 2009 at 4:46 pm

I am green, green, green with envy, as my entire garden is buried under 12 inches of icy snow. Carry on, grow, photograph — and post, so those of us who are months away from gardening can have something to sustain us through the winter!

9. #9 http://madeater.blogspot.com/
    on Feb 2nd, 2009 at 2:29 pm

Aha! I’d heard they had a garden consultant; didn’t know it was you.
    Happy for y’all’s success. And good luck with the community plot.

on Feb 4th, 2009 at 8:48 am

Ree, can’t you muster up a consulting contract or business trip or something out this way? ‘Cause it’s gorgeous here…and it ain’t 17 degrees.

Lydia, happy to hold down the warm end of the garden fort!

Debbie, consultant might be too strong a term for it…but yes, success is a good thing!