How will you celebrate National Farmer’s Market Week?

National Farmer’s Market Week is August 2-8, a week where even the markets in the harshest zones of the U.S. climate should be bursting with amazing produce. Tomato season’s in full swing, people. Take. Advantage. (And if you don’t like tomatoes, buy some anyway and just mail ‘em to me.)

Over at The Huffington Post, Stacy Miller, the Executive Director of the Farmer’s Market Coalition, has some great data on farmer’s markets and their impact on healthy eating habits around the country. Did you know that Kaiser Permanente is integrating farmer’s markets into their wellness plans? I certainly didn’t, and that makes me feel a little more warm and fuzzy toward that particular giant of the healthcare industry.

There’s also a wee shoutout to the farmer’s market in Hanalei, HI, which I had the rough job of visiting last summer while on vacation with The Mint Killer and her family. We plundered it for amazing local fruits, herbs and vegetables that showed up on our lanai table just hours later. There’s really no better way to eat while traveling.

How will you celebrate National Farmer’s Market Week? What’s your favorite aspect of your local market? Share your thoughts in the comments, or over on Stacy’s post.

9 Comments on “How will you celebrate National Farmer’s Market Week?”

1. #1 Chiot's Run
    on Jul 29th, 2009 at 12:14 pm

I love love love going the farmer’s market. I love chatting with the local growers and buying new and interesting veggies. I also love supporting the local economy!

2. #2 Lydia (The Perfect Pantry)
    on Jul 30th, 2009 at 4:36 am

How cool is it that we now have a National Farmer’s Market Week?!

3. #3 Mike Lee
    on Jul 30th, 2009 at 6:28 am

We’re going to celebrate by doing a feature story on the Iowa City farmers’ market for our website http://www.OnlyatFarmersMarkets.com. Any thoughts about that market?

4. #4 Grocery Mama
    on Jul 31st, 2009 at 9:19 am

I’m doing a Farmer’s Market Challenge at my blog. Trying to enourage people to eat from thier local market.
    Please consider joining yourself!

on Aug 7th, 2009 at 10:49 am

Chiot’s Run, you’re right — those are all terrific benefits to farmers markets!

Lydia, very, very cool. :-)

Mike, I was always a big fan of the IC Market, especially when it was sweet corn and melon season! I loved buying up big flats of tomatoes, and also appreciated the diversity of the vendors, even in a fairly small town.

Grocery Mama, how’s that challenge going?

6. #6 Jimmy Cracked Corn
    on Aug 10th, 2009 at 6:54 am

I actually participated in a local Farmer’s Market foodfest as an Amateur Chef. My partner and I won first place!

on Aug 13th, 2009 at 11:06 pm

Jimmy, congratulations! What did you guys cook?

8. #8 Jimmy Cracked Corn
    on Jul 6th, 2010 at 12:51 pm

Ground Sweet Corn fritters with spicy red pepper, fresh tomato and onion salsa, and peach empanadas (fried pies!) with a blackberry honey sauce.

on Jul 11th, 2010 at 10:37 am