Guest Post: Fairies inspire a young gardener

[Editor's Note: This post is from Ysa, the step-daughter of one of my co-workers. She's making her first foray into gardening this years, and I invited her to make an appearance here. Please give her a warm welcome!]

Hi. I am doing a guest post. I am 7 years old and I have a garden. I first got interested in gardening when I looked at my fairy book, and it showed how to find Flower Fairies by planting flowers. The Fairy Garden was a bunch of flowers planted in a tub. I watered it every other day and then it was doing well. I checked on it every day and once I saw a fairy in it! She was small, had hair to her shoulders and purple wings. She had a dress made out of petals, and she had bare feet and a hat made from an upside-down purple flower. I wrote a note to the fairies, and in the morning, on the back of the note a fairy had responded, and it said “Thank you” in big curvy letters.

Ysa and her garden

Then I got interested in planting other things. This year I am planting tomatoes, lettuce, and zucchini, and I am going to plant a pumpkin. And my yard has a baby lemon tree and a tall fig tree, and the lemon tree has a lemon that is almost ripe. And the fig tree has a bunch of little figs. I like to eat the figs right off the tree. I also like eating cherry tomatoes and strawberries right off the plants in my yard. And there are also lots and lots of different types of flowers in my yard.

Ysa and her lettuceThe first thing I harvested this year was lettuce. I never thought that I could grow lettuce that well! Salad is always better from your garden than salad from the store, because if it’s grown in other parts of the world, it has to take a long trip on a ship to get to the store. But if it’s in your garden, you can just have the salad without having to buy it from the store. The lettuce was delicious!

I hope you like my guest post!

[Note from my coworker: She protested eating salad before last week when she tasted the first lettuce she grew herself! Even her older brother eats salad without complaining now, which wasn’t the case before! Peaceful dinners: one more reason home gardens rule!]

19 Comments on “Guest Post: Fairies inspire a young gardener”

1. #1 bellini valli
    on May 19th, 2010 at 7:30 am

Welcome Ysa. You may have a budding blogger there Gina, at least you have a budding gardener:D

2. #2 jen maiser
    on May 19th, 2010 at 8:40 am

Congratulations on your first guest post, Ysa! You did a fantastic job. I think I’d like to have a fairy garden …

3. #3 Sharon
    on May 19th, 2010 at 8:40 am

Thank you for your post Ysa. My daughters loved the Flower Fairies, too. I am glad that you are enjoying eating what you have grown in your garden.

Genie, thank you for giving Ysa a forum to express herself.

4. #4 jen maiser
    on May 19th, 2010 at 8:40 am

Congratulations on your first guest post, Ysa! You did a great job, and I loved reading your story here. I think I’d like to have a fairy garden.

5. #5 Andrea
    on May 19th, 2010 at 8:53 am

Adorable and wonderful. I have my first real garden this year, and I am 38! I also have been enjoying our first lettuces and it’s great! Ysa, wish I had started at your age, keep it up and good luck.

6. #6 Leslie
    on May 19th, 2010 at 10:15 am

Hi Ysa, I loved your post. It reminds me of when I was a girl and I got to each peaches that we grew on our peach tree in the back yard. They were delicious and better than any peach I have ever bought in the store.

7. #7 Julie
    on May 19th, 2010 at 10:57 am

Thank you so much Ysa! I liked your post very much. I love flowers and the flower fairies are very magical and fun. Do you have your own blog? If you do I would love to read it. That would be so fun. Thank you for growing healthy foods for your family. I know they really appreciate you. Have a magic filled day!

8. #8 Kathy
    on May 19th, 2010 at 11:41 am

Hi Ysa!
    I am so impressed with the lettuce that you’ve grown for the whole family to share! Your story about the Flower Fairies was wonderful too. I’m happy that you are enjoying spending time in the garden. Can I come by to see your pumpkin when it gets big??

9. #9 Nancy
    on May 19th, 2010 at 1:01 pm

What an inspiring post. Mademe go out and tend my long neglected plants! Nice writing and cute pictures!

10. #10 Kim
    on May 19th, 2010 at 2:51 pm

Hi Ysa,
    Good job with your garden. I agree with you that food always tastes better right out of the garden. My daughters love fairies too and I am going to tell them about your fairy garden.

11. #11 Lola
    on May 19th, 2010 at 4:28 pm

Way to go, Ysa!

You do so well in expressing your thoughts!

And we have some things in common (besides liking to garden), I just LOVE eating figs and cherry tomatoes right off the plants. Yum, I can’t wait!

12. #12 pilar
    on May 19th, 2010 at 5:55 pm

Hi Ysa:
    Wow! I am so impressed with your gardening skills!! Congratulations on your first batch of lettuce! I would love to hear about the other fruits and veggies in your garden as they ripen. Thanks for your post and for sharing your story.

13. #13 Susan
    on May 19th, 2010 at 8:30 pm

I love this post. Ysa, it sounds like you have a great garden. I have always been afraid to try to grow lettuce, but you have inspired me. Thanks!

14. #14 Desiree
    on May 20th, 2010 at 9:33 am

Wow….do you think if I plant beautiful flowers in my garden the fairies will come and take care of my plants too? Your garden is beautiful and I can’t wait to start mine now too!

15. #15 Andrea D.
    on May 20th, 2010 at 11:16 am

What a beautiful garden. I think lettuce is difficult to grow, and you did a wonderful job with yours! I’m going to show your post to my girls (ages 4 and 8) because they planted a garden too, and maybe they’ll try their vegetables just like you did!

16. #16 Gramoa
    on May 20th, 2010 at 6:03 pm

Ysa, I am so glad you were able to share your gardening experience on this blog. We hope to have some of your garden veggies when we come to visit. Love you lots.

17. #17 Stone Art Blog
    on May 21st, 2010 at 3:31 am

Lovely post Ysa, very well done. I remember when I was about your age, I got my very own piece of my parents garden, with a ribbon cutting ceremony and all, it was fantastic to be able to eat plants I had grown myself, as you now know yourself. Keep up the good work.

18. #18 Aunt Michelle
    on May 21st, 2010 at 10:29 am

Awesome, Ysa! I am so proud of you. A garden takes a lot of work and patience, but it’s wonderful to eat the goodies that you produce. I had no idea that the garden gloves and tools would be so loved and helpful! Great blog post. I really enjoyed it! Way to go, gal!!!

19. #19 chigiy
    on May 22nd, 2010 at 10:05 am

Ysa, This is so weird, I was in my garden the other morning—If I get there early enough I usually can catch a glimpse of a fairy or two—well anyway, there was this one fairy, she had purple wings and a purple flower hat. She was talking about you to another fairy with pink wings and they were saying what an awesome gardener and writer you are. Now I know who they were talking about. You! Keep gardening, it will keep you happy and healthy.