The tomatoes. I planted them.

After all the drama with hauling and drilling and casters and dirt, it was time for what is, every time, the least dramatic, easiest part of the process.

The tomatoes. I planted them.

With four seedlings, it seemed reasonable to put two in each wine barrel, but that left room for other things. I still had some lettuce seeds lying around, and some sage seeds that I brought all the way from Iowa. I had some basil seeds, and I’d picked up some random bean seeds along the way during the Bay-Friendly Garden Tour.

Seeds went in. Plant markers, not so much (I’ll get to those eventually…). But by the time the sun went down, it was official: After two years in California, I finally had a garden again.

8 Comments on “The tomatoes. I planted them.”

1. #1 Michael Procopio
    on Jul 17th, 2010 at 12:30 pm

It’s about time…

I look forward to bloody marys juiced from your own, sweet, hand-tended little gems. Wait. Little gems are lettuces. I’ve never heard of a lettuce-based cocktail.

2. #2 Jeff Shattuck
    on Jul 17th, 2010 at 5:26 pm

Congratulations. You should celebrate with a Bloody Mary!

3. #3 Heather's Garden
    on Jul 17th, 2010 at 6:48 pm

I’m so happy. And how can it have been 2 years since you moved to California? It seems like yesterday.

4. #4 elisa
    on Jul 17th, 2010 at 9:39 pm

Godspeed little growing ones!

5. #5 tea_austen
    on Jul 18th, 2010 at 12:39 pm

Good for you!
    I had my first cherry tomato off my plants this week. Ahhh!

6. #6 Simon Eade
    on Jul 18th, 2010 at 2:56 pm

Hi Genie, love the site, I remember looking at it before through the blotanical lists. Well laid out and great photos, you obviously have a passion for your subject. If you are interested I would like to propose swapping links. My site is http://www.gardenofeaden.blogspot.com

I look forward to hearing from you. Kind regards, Simon

7. #7 Scott D
    on Jul 19th, 2010 at 9:05 am

I feel a little sad for you. I’m harvesting the first of my tomatoes and you’re just planting yours!

on Jul 19th, 2010 at 9:30 am

Michael, ick. Lettuce cocktail. Ick. Although the celery gimlet at Orson is lovely…so perhaps? Regardless, yes! Bloody Marys!

Jeff, you and Michael think alike, as geniuses are wont to do. :-)

Heather, I know — it’s amazing how time flies, huh?

Elisa, thanks! They’re going to need it!

Tara, yum… :-)

Simon, thanks for the message — I’ll go check out your blog!

Scott, though I’m still far from actually harvesting, have no fear — I’m behind in telling the story, so I’m further ahead in the planting than it may appear. Stay tuned!