Are we there yet?

After I planted the seedlings, the waiting game began. I watered, I pruned suckers out of the junctures between branches, and I watched for any sign of blossoms.

“When will we have tomatoes?” Fatemeh asked.

“Probably 45 days or so,” I said, as if I was any kind of authority on the matter, and, indeed, as if I’d even researched the four varieties of plants we had in the wine barrels.

“45 days?” she asked with a note of pain in her voice.

I felt the pain, too, and continued to feel it until June 21, the day when I walked outside to find a giant yellow ball of awesome.

“Come look! Come look!” I hollered back into the apartment.

Fatemeh hurried out to the patio.

“We have our first blossom!” I announced with an emphatic pointing motion.

“Is that where tomatoes come from?” she asked. “That?”

“Yes,” I said. “And there are many more buds just waiting to open. It’s so on.”

Considering the level of excitement one tomato blossom brings me, I think it’s fair to say that gerberas are no longer my favorite flower. Tomato blossom, you complete me. I mean, you complete me at the point when you bring me a damn tomato.

7 Comments on “Are we there yet?”

1. #1 Tanja @ Postmodern Hostess
    on Jul 23rd, 2010 at 7:35 am

Congrats! Watching the tomato flowers pop out is such a great moment. And hopefully your tomato growing goes more smoothly this year than mine has.

A recent mishap: http://www.postmodernhostess.com/2010/07/jig-is-up.html.

2. #2 April
    on Jul 23rd, 2010 at 1:45 pm

I found my first banana pepper yesterday! Poor poor year for peppers in the NW. My very first garden.
    My garden has taken over my house blog because of the impressiveness of it.
    So glad to have found you!

3. #3 Alicia
    on Jul 26th, 2010 at 11:34 am

Ah those little yellow blossoms. So exciting.
    Glad to have found your blog! I’m a blogger/gardener in Iowa City. If you ever come back this way we should share a meal! If you feel like it you could check out my blog. I have tons of tomatoes coming up this summer, all thanks to SSE.

on Jul 27th, 2010 at 10:36 am

Tanja, I’ll go check out that mishap. In my experience, they are par for the course. :-)

April, congrats on that first garden! And yum…I love banana peppers. :-)

Alicia, I’ll definitely check out your blog, and coincidentally, I’m going to be in Iowa City soon. May not have time for a full meal, but I’ll be in touch about possibly meeting for coffee or something!

5. #5 Bridgette
    on Jul 29th, 2010 at 12:14 pm

Tomatoes are so refreshing during summer! And they taste great in a salad! Check out these lunch salads that are really easy and healthy to make! http://www.adavvy.com/article/show/best-lunches-salad

on Jul 29th, 2010 at 2:10 pm

Bridgette, thanks for the link!

7. #7 The Inadvertent Gardener