The plucky herb

When I got home from work Monday night, Fatemeh said, “There’s an herb growing out there on the patio.”

“A what?” I asked.

“An herb,” she said. “I don’t know what kind it is, but Stella tried to eat it.”

I don't know why I bother planting when the herb grows all on its own.Sure enough, when I went out to water the containers, there it was, grown big enough that it was more than a mouthful for Stella, the tiny French bulldog. I pinched off a leaf and smelled it to be sure, but it was, most definitely, a slightly fuzzy clump of sage.

Of course, unlike the rest of the plants, which are growing in relatively expensive, allegedly good soil, this sage plant is growing in some sandy, tiny dirt that separates our patio stones from each other. I’ve never watered it, nor even given it any attention until today.

“Unbelievable,” I said when I got in from watering. “It’s the most successful plant out there.”

We’re leaving it and seeing how much it’ll grow. After all, the sage in the container garden continues to grow in a stunted, sorry manner, so why mess with the one real success outside?

7 Comments on “The plucky herb”

1. #1 Tanja @ Postmodern Hostess
    on Aug 6th, 2010 at 9:45 am

Some of my most successful plants (this year a tomato) plant have started as “rogue” or stowaway plants in another plant’s pot, clearly growing from old root stock in the soil or from errant seeds. Give this little sage plant some love! (Or maybe total neglect… whatever you’ve been doing so far!) :-)

on Aug 9th, 2010 at 9:44 am

Tanja, I’m totally thinking benign neglect is the way to go with that one!

3. #3 laura
    on Aug 10th, 2010 at 12:17 am

met you briefly at BlogHer in NYC. I love your tag line because although I am not a gardener at all it is amazing what I would do for a good tomato. your business card makes me want one right now!

on Aug 10th, 2010 at 10:19 pm

Laura, thank you — and so great to meet you! Thanks for stopping by for a visit. :-)

5. #5 Unexpected Plant Success « Gardora.net
    on Aug 17th, 2010 at 4:11 am

[...] Not every plant thrives: Sometimes the most succesful plants are the ones showing up unexpectedly: http://j.mp/9OR7gw [...]

6. #6 Ashleigh Burroughs
    on Aug 30th, 2010 at 7:45 pm

Like a resilient child, the volunteer seedling flourishes no matter where he lands or what she encounters. Enjoy yours!
    a/b

on Sep 11th, 2010 at 8:37 pm

Ashleigh, sadly…the seedling is no more — it was either eaten down to the nub or removed. But it was valiant while it lasted!